Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Band Concert with a whistle controversy!

Celina's First Fall, Freshmen Band Concert.

 Lets just say it was a very eventful night and that might be an understatement!

It's Celina's 5th year playing flute. 

There are so many kids in band they have 3 bands. The first 2 bands are just Freshmen, the last band is a combo of all the band kids that are not in the marching band, 10 - 12th grades. We had to listen to all three play last night. 
It's nice to see the improvement in the bands over the years. We were treated to five seniors in the auditorium hall playing their guitar, drum, trumpets and saxophone as we walked in to sit down.  
Parents have to get to the concert at least 30 minutes before the start to give the band kids time to set up. Logan didn't really want to go and was super grouchy. Once we got to the high school and he heard the kids playing instruments in the hall his mood began to change. When he is happy, he whistles. I can not whistle myself and I've tried.. really tried for 44+ years now.. ever since I was 4 years old I can remember wanting to be able to whistle. My Nana was a hummer and I do the same when I bake. I'm just happy and I hum just like my Nana use to when she baked. Logan started whistling a little, while people were still being seating, talking etc.. before the concert started. The man in front of us with the tall head, blocking my view told him to stop whistling. It just made me mad. Here was a kid that only 10 minutes before was all angry and upset he had to go spend the entire evening listening to a band concert. His mood had turned happy.. after hearing the band sounds from the hall and this guy was telling him to shut up, stop whistling.  The protective, angry mother in me came out but I just said calmly. "Geeze, what's wrong with being happy?" It's not like he was whistling during the concert. People are loud talking and getting seated all around us. The guy didn't like me saying that and turned around to confront me. He told me he said it nicely and if I had a problem we should go out into the hall and whistle to the band. I just said he is 11, and is happy. The guy and his wife got ugly after that comment. The wife piped in and said " what if he was kicking my chair", Which he wasn't at all, I might add and I told her that! If Logan was kicking a chair I'd totally understand and would have asked him to stop too. After they suggested not so nicely that we move some where else, which I said I was fine right where we were. They got up and left in a huff. My mother in-law had to add her comment and call the wife a B i t c h to her face... Yikes! Didn't want to start a fight over some whistling. I know not everyone likes to hear whistling, but we were at a music concert. MUSIC.. noise..toe tapping, loud drums..he wasn't doing that annoying loud whistle.. just a little tune.. Logan likes whistle when he is happy! Apparently, this guy does not like to be happy. The woman sitting next to me said, "Band parents just don't act like that. They must be new to the program?" 

What's your opinion on whistling? Does it make  you happy or mad? 

What are some of the things you do when your in a happy mood? hum, sing? 

No comments:

Post a Comment