Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Thursday, November 12, 2015

How to prepare for cold weather running!

To be perfectly honest, I don't think I ever can really prepare for winter running. I just don't like it but it far is better running outdoors in cold temperatures then running indoors on a treadmill. I'll take the cold if I have to. 
Looking out my window this morning its windy, dark-cloudy but hey, it's not raining any more. You have to look on the bright side of any situation that is less then perfect like cold weather running. 
You have to dress for cold, in layers. I wear thicker socks, warm fuzz covered leggings and two to three tops that I can shed when I warm up. Something to cover the ears and mittens. I know some people like the mitten hand warmers but I've never needed them. My hands eventually get too warm and I shed the mittens too. 
I still need to drink lots of water even when it's really cold out. I get thirsty! It also helps to do lunges, squats outside while waiting for my darn GPS on my Garmin to start up. This keeps me warm and focusing on the number of lunges or squats I can do before I have to run and my GPS is ready to go. 
I do a little mental prep too. It's not so bad.. it's only 40+F, there is no ice on the ground. I'm not suck in side. Mostly, I take my sweet time getting outside to run in the cold. I give my brain plenty of time to get use to the idea that I want to run outdoors. This is why I get up extra early in the mornings so I do have that time. 

Time to get honest. Instead of lifting weights last night, I sat outside and waited for Celina to workout. I was exhausted from my work day and running 6 miles in the morning. Not to worry, I have Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday to lift weights. My goal is to fit in at least 3 days this week. I can still meet that goal.
Weight loss.. there is no quick plan. Its slow going and my skinny jeans are still tight but I can zip them and have less muffin top spillage. I'm on day 25 and that itself is a Big Accomplishment! Looking forward to being on day 30. I'm starting to notice that its getting easier to make healthy food choices. When I go shopping for food. I might be tempted to buy crap food but I don't do it. I know that my diet will crumble if I have that in the house and it will tempt me and I will eat it. I just don't need the temptation around me. I can look but I will not buy. 
Time to lace up and get out there and stop thi

No comments:

Post a Comment