Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Monday, January 19, 2015

Weight should not be your only number.. just one of them

Out of workout clothes.. I'm wearing those black jeans that use to fit a little too snugly around my waist. Now I have breathing room from my 1500 calorie or less per day healthy eating plan since Tuesday.. or on Day 6. My scale said I lost 5 pounds. Weight is not the only measurement of weight loss success nor should it be. We all have our ideal weight we'd like to be.. and it's nice reaching that goal. I like to judge my progress more by how my clothes fit. 
I love being able to wear my skinny jeans with out a muffin top.. it just feels awful when you have that extra skin hanging over the top of your too tight jeans. A good indicator when that hang-over skin goes away.. and a reminder to do something about that bulge. 
Just a plain old tape measure is a great way to see fat loss. This is especially true when the scale might not be going down but your lifting more weights, building more muscle and your size does shrink. Take these 4 measurements: Waist, hips, thigh and arm.. all on your right side of your body. 
A great way to determine % of body fat is a skinfold caliper. I use them for my Personal Training clients. Or better yet.. something quick and easy to use.
I purchased a Fat Loss Monitor. It really is easy to use. Just enter in height, weight, age and hold still then it gives you a % body fat and your BMI. 
The number of calories you consume should be written down. I firmly believe that if you don't write the calorie at least write down what you eat every day and everything. Don't leave out that one little candy or the handful of jelly beans. You need to have a clear picture of your eating habits and what time you eat. Don't forget to record the time! So important. I realized that the hours of 2pm and 7pm were my hardest to stick with a diet. Now I make a bowl of popcorn to snack on so I still can eat.. and have a low calorie snack that won't get me off my diet plan. 
Lifting more weight and building muscle is going to make you a smaller person. Muscle is more compact then fat. Don't be afraid to lift heavy weight. It won't bulk you up.. but it will make you strong, tone and thinner.

Most of all.. be happy about any and all progress. Its a tough journey..be kind to yourself and smile.. your on the right track to weight loss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment