Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Thursday, April 23, 2015

A Winning Finish

We had our first ever win 4 to 2. The soccer winter season has come to an end. I'm so glad that I tried soccer because even thought I wasn't very good at it, I learn a lot. I got out of my comfort zone and tried something new. I learned a new appreciation for the game. I got to be part of a team, even though our team members changed a lot, there were a few of us who played the entire winter together. 
It's not always easy being part of a team. I didn't participate in team sports growing up, so this was a new experience for me. I'm not sure how I really feel about team sports. I'm kind of an individual sport person. I only want to count on my own abilities. I was definitely under-skilled when it came to foot skills in soccer and even knowing the game. I didn't fully understand it even thought I watched my kids play for years. Playing soccer, I got to understand more then I did from watching. You have to be out there participating to really understand. I still have a lot to learn. 

I of course wanted to learn the game quickly and not be the weak link on our team.  I tried my best to make up for my lack of skills and my team was good about it. Some games I felt like I fit in and was included and other games not so much. It might have been more to do with me if I felt that way. I'm just grateful that I was able to keep playing all three sessions this winter. They could have easily replaced me and probably would have if they found a more skilled girl player to take my place. They did find more skilled players for the summer. The rules are different as they only need 2 girls, not 3 on the field. I was a bit sad that they didn't want me back, but I can 100% understand. I would do the same in their situation. It just made me feel excluded from the team on our last game and I just get quiet and it feels awkward. Again, my own issue. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy playing soccer. It just had its ups and downs and that all had to do with me and my mood. Probably why playing with a team is a challenge because everyone brings a different attitude/mood to the game each week. 

I did get contacted by another team member wanting to start a Sunday team for soccer. I'm not sure if he remembers my lack of skills, but I put down a maybe to play. I was also asked to be a sub on my old team that will play this summer during the week. Who knows if they will call me back? I'm hoping I will be asked to play again next winter. Even though I had mood ups and downs with being part of a team. I loved the challenge of playing a new sport. I have all summer to practice and improve my foot skills. Even if I don't play, I accomplished a lot in just doing what I set out to do, Trying something new, getting out of my comfort zone, not being afraid of my lack of soccer skills, not being afraid of being the oldest on my team by at least 10 years. A great positive to end the soccer winter season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment