I don't really have it all figured out how to keep myself entertained while working out indoors. I do try and distract myself. Here's what I've come up with for trying to keep myself entertained while running indoors.1. Look at the machine often to see how far I've ran, how many calories I've burned and then use the machines heart rate monitor and stare at the numbers on the screen.
2. Watch the many TV's stationed around the room. There has to be something on TV that I'm interested in for at least a minute or two.
3. Look at the people, see if I know any of the regulars.
4. Talk to some of the regulars I know that are on the machines next to me. This makes time really go fast.
5. Read a magazine or at least look at the pictures if I can't read and run.
6. Look at my phone, FB or Pinterest.
7. Try to get into my workout, but listening to the music in the gym. If I can hear it over the people and workout machines.
8. Just be bored. Time is almost up and then I can stop and move on.
I'm saving my workout for later on today. Celina wants to go to the gym after school and I have soccer tonight. My speed running workout.
I have a deadline decision. Session 2 of soccer starts soon and I have to sign up by Friday. I am liking soccer not because I'm any good at it. I just love the exercise and the challenge of doing something different. I'm always looking for the next adventure or activity that will wake me up and add some excitement to my workouts. Soccer definitely has all those elements. As long as my soccer team still wants me to play, I'll sign up for session 2. I just have to improve over time with my speed and soccer skills.
I'm still on the hunt to find another sport or activity that will add some more interest to my life.. here's what I already have tried over the years...
1. Crochet, made scarfs and hats
2. Rock climbing indoors
3. Running (trails, road, races 1, 2, 3, 4 miles and 1/2 marathon)
4. Down hill skiing
5. Cross country skiing
6. Horse back riding lessons/care of horses (fed, clean up, groom etc)
7. Personal Training
8. Weights/ Resistance training
10. Biking, Mountain - trails, road
11. Camping, BWCA
12. Boating, jet ski
13. Soccer Rec Team
15. Snow boarding (failed and didn't like)
16. Tennis (just for fun)
17. Volunteer at a running race
18. Hiking up the tallest mountain in Minnesota
19. Kayak / Canoe
I'm not sure what new activity I'll try next. Maybe just stick to what I enjoy doing and do more of it. More rock climbing, skiing, soccer, weights and running. I just really enjoy trying something new and taking that plunge into the unknown when you first start off doing something completely new.