Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Saturday, August 1, 2015

No one Ever said 13.2 miles will be easy!

Race day! Half Marathon, 13.2 miles of running! This is my 2nd ever half marathon. Glad its over and I can now re-cap the race. 
Paul works for RBC, which sponsors this race. Everyone was betting who would come in before the other... I'll save that for a little longer. 
I was only racing myself. My first half marathon ended with me white as a ghost because I never drank or ate anything before or during the race. I felt AWFUL after. For my 2nd time running a half, my goals were simple. Finish feeling good. I half accomplished that. I ate my usual breakfast 1 slice of whole wheat bread with PB and drank lots and lots of water to stay hydrated. During the race, my plan was to walk each aid station to be able to drink water. I kept to that plan. What I was worried about mostly was my feet or toes. It was very painful to run after mile 9. My toes were hurting and bad. I tried running on my heals instead of striking mid foot, just to ease the toe and bottom of my feet pain. 
Paul and I kept pace for about 2 miles.. then I let him run ahead. I was running too fast and needed to run my own pace. 9 minute miles are still fast for an easy pace. I finally saw Paul at mile 9, the turn around point. He was getting water and I wasn't far behind. About in another .4 miles or less... I was passing up Paul, who was walking. I just kept going even though I too really wanted to walk. Mile 12 was by far my worst mile. I didn't think my feet could take it anymore. I walked and tried to wiggle my toes around, then would start up running, only to walk again. It wasn't till mile 12 that I talked myself into running the last mile slowly.. or should I say 1.2 miles. I did stop and walk one more time on mile 13.. that finish line couldn't come soon enough! I just had to be DONE! Crossed the finish line in 2 hours and 13 minutes and 21 seconds. I had nothing left to give.. I was finished.. I got plenty of water, saw the family at the finish line and we all waited for Paul to cross the finish... about10 minutes later. 

Seeing my family at the finish line felt great! I am so glad for their support. 
Look how cool my new half marathon finisher metal is.. it's in the Shape of Minnesota!
Here is the rest of the swag from the race.. 2 t-shirts and candy 
RBI had a VIP tent, so we all headed over for FOOD! well, Paul and I hobbled are way over Slowly.. 
I just wasn't ready for any real food. While everyone grabbed food, Paul and I just kind of sat there for awhile. 

I didn't feel like I could eat, but finally settled on an Ice cream sandwich and of course, lots and lots of water. That went down okay, so I had potato chips and a banana. Everyone else helped themselves to all kinds of breakfast foods. I just couldn't' stomach it. 
I got a selfie with this hockey mascot. 
Just a few more race photos... The race course
Waiting at the start line.. 
Sun coming up over the Mississippi river before the race started 
 Fresh feet before the race... I'm retiring my running shoes! Its time to get a new pair of shoes for these tired, sore feet!
 All fresh and ready to run at the beginning of the race. 
 All the People.. Out of 1498 people, I came in #845, not sure what place in my actual age group of 45 - 49 Year old Women??? Lot of fast runners out there! My average pace was 10:11 per mile.. Not too bad considering I did some walking.
Would I ever do this race again... I'm thinking no more then 10 miles. I'd do the relay, but I think this was my last half marathon..my feet just can't go any farther then 10 miles.. and I should just keep it at that!
The end... 

No comments:

Post a Comment