Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Weight-loss, Fitness, Running

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

How did I start?

How did I start exercising.. the couch (non-exerciser) to workout plan (daily exerciser).. 

I didn't one day wake up and take it to the extremes! I didn't think it was an all out or nothing change I was going to make on Day 1 of me getting off the couch and moving my body. I see a lot of newbie exercisers think they need to do Cross fit, P90X or do some other type of extreme workout the very first day they decide to do something about their lack of fitness. This is a sure way to failure. You have a really tough time completing the workout, if you do at all. It's sloppy because your too tired during the workout to keep good form setting yourself up for an injury. Not to mention the next day, if not right away.. you'll start to experience DOMS.. Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness. You'll then think.. I need to recover a few days.. at which you now dread going back for day 2, if you make it.. then it's a repeat of day 1 and pretty much you'll figure out.. exercise is just too hard. That is a recipe for disaster! 
(That will be your reaction.. Enough!!!)

How did I start loving working out and sticking with it, and never giving up.. ??? 
1. I took it very slow.. S L O W at first
2. I found exercises that I could do and enjoyed
3. I worked out by time.. 10 minutes, 20 minutes and increased the time as my body adjusted. 
4. I didn't workout till I dropped or was too sore to move.
5. Running was 1 mile for a week.. then 2 miles for 3 weeks, then 3 miles for a long time.. and after a few months.. I was able to do a full 60 minutes without stopping.. I kept it there for a year. 
6. I'd add in other types of fun activities skiing, hiking, yard work.. 
I never did anything extreme and only did enough to keep going..
7.I'd give myself permission to take it really slow when running on the days it was hard just to keep motivated. 

I am a big believer in reading motivational quotes and stories each and every day. It helps me to keep focused and realize I'm not the only one that needs a little push.. Plus, I wanted to educate myself all about fitness. The reason I decided to be a Certified Personal Trainer. 
I also try not to beat myself up over my diet, exercise or the way my body is not exactly the way I'd like it (most days).. I might not be the thinnest or someone who looks like they workout every day.. but I try to keep focused on what is working.. Persistence. I refuse to quit trying..
If something didn't work, change it.. or keep trying something else. Don't fall into the all or nothing mind set.  If you only have time to do 5 minutes, find something you can do for that time and just move.. Your never too busy to take care of YOU! 
____________________________________________

Any others to add to my list? 

What's your workout story? 


No comments:

Post a Comment